Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Rolling Through the Cold Days

Well, it's been almost two months since I was last able to access my facebook page. What a pain in the ass.

My contract has been renewed for another year, which is great. I didn't think they'd let me go, but I don't think you can ever really assume anything. And while I am grateful that I can continue to translate at a place with pretty freaking good PTO, 20 days (!), I really know that I need to get my shit together and start figuring out my next steps.

Anyone who translates Japanese into English or, has studied Japanese for some time, knows that the Japanese language loves...LOVES passive sentences with no clear subject.
If I may be so bold as to state that the English language HATES overly passive sentences.

This fight comes up over and over again with me and my coworkers.

The other day when my boss said he's looking forward to working with me another year, he added that I should keep working on my Japanese, try to understand Japan better and work on more "formal" translations. I know that most Japanese people I meet will never give someone outright praise and I also know that this guy loves literal translations, so I didn't really take his words to heart.

But I did inwardly roll my eyes.

Whenever I'm asked to write something that sounds so wrong, I die a little bit inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment