Wednesday, February 10, 2016

It's Paczki Day, Bitches!

I wouldn't be a true upper-midwestern girl if I passed up this golden opportunity to rave about paczkis.
These Polish jelly donuts are eaten on Fat Tuesday in the midwest, right before Lent. 

New Orleans has Mardi Gras and that weirdly decorated cake with a plastic doll baked into it, and we have these delicious, fattening donuts. 



This Polish American journal gives a great explanation of the food and a recipe. There are obviously no paczki in Japan, and every year I drool over the images online.

I'm not the best person to ask about Lent, but if I remember correctly, Christians...Catholics?  are supposed to use up the last of their "extravagant" (or zeitaku in Japanese) food before Lent. During Lent, they should eat simple meals with only fish as the "meat." Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday and the paczkis are the last gorge on the good stuff before it's stashed away for a month...40 days...?

I see paczkis as nondenominational, and good for all... nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment