Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I am a Hero

If you speak Japanese and you've ever listened to Jpop song lyrics, you'll probably find that they sound very nice, but seem to make no sense. One genre of Jpop that I've noticed throughout the years is the "ganbaru" songs. These are songs where the artist sings about persevering through some difficulty to win the game or triumph in some way.

To be quite honest, I had always thought they were kind of lame. Especially ones that have lyrics that are, quite literally: "You can do it."

However, these "ganbaru" songs have started making their way into my playlist. Notably Superfly's Tamashii Revolution and B'z' Ultrasoul. Recently, I've been listening to Fukuyama Masaharu's I am a Hero. This was the theme to "Hanazaki Mai wa Damatte inai 2" (Hanazaki Mai Won't be Silent), a drama about an outspoken bank worker who has a knack for saying what needs to be said...despite being young.

When I listened to the lyrics, I thought they represented Japan pretty well. A young person, presumably in their 30s is sitting drinking with coworkers. While making the decision to better themselves in 10 years, they struggle with how to tell their boss/coworkers about their dedication to work and better themselves.

I made a rough translation which I'll post below the video. I'll try to explain the difficulties of translating in a later post. These are my translations and my romanizations, if you are going to use them, please credit :) The translations are also quite stiff/stilted for a reason...I'm trying to keep them line by line the same as the Japanese.Oh, and apologies for the bad formatting m(_ _)m



僕は出来る いやもっと出来る I can do it No, I can do more
boku wa dekiru iya motto dekiru

偉大な人とまでは言わない That's not to say I'm great
idai na hito to made wa iwanai

「頼れる人」くらいにはなれる I just want to be "someone counted on"
tayoreru hito kurai niwa nareru

言わせるなよ ここは通過点 Don't make me say it This is the checkpoint
iwaserunayo koko wa kyotsuten

聞いてる?もう酔ってんの? Are you listening? You're already drunk?
kiiteru? mou yowatten no?

何回めの乾杯だっけな How many times, this kampai
nankaime no kanpai dakke na

来たか!無限ループ Has it come?! An endless loop
kita ka! mugen loop

10年先の自分をイメージして Imagining myself 10 years from now
juunen saki no jibun wo image shite

虎視耽々と「積んできた」んだ I lay in wait to "acquire experience"
koshitantan to tsunde kita nda

どんなにいま辛くたって No matter how hard it is now
donnani ima tsuraku tte

いつかは本当の自分に変身するんだ I'll someday transform into my true self
itsuka wa hontou no jibun ni henshin surunda

I am a HERO 何笑ってるの? I am a Hero What are you laughing about?
I am a hero nani wara tteru no?

僕やってる 上も下にも I'm doing it The ups and the downs
boku yatteru ue mo shita nimo

誰に対しても平等です I treat everyone equally
dare ni taishite mo byoudou desu

どんな仕事だって逃げない I don't run away from any task
donna shigoto datte nigenai

きっと誰か僕を見てるよ I'm sure that someone's watching me
kitto dareka boku wo miteru yo

そんなの言うわきゃない I've got to say that
sonna no iwa nakya

でも言わなきゃわからない But, I don't know how to say it
demo iwa nakya wakara nai

自己アピール下手だし嫌だし… I'm not good at promoting myself, I hate it...
jiko appeal heta dashi iya dashi...

ジンジンジンジン人生のど真ん中で Right smack dab in the middle of life
jin jin jin jin jinsei no doman naka de

全然何者にもなってない I'm no one at all
zenzen nanimono nimo nattenai

「なんであいつなんだよ」 "Why that fucker?"
nannde aitsu nannda yo

って今日もやっかんでる I say again with envy today
tte kyou mo yakkan deru

でも嫉妬こそ 努力の根源さ But it's that jealously that's the root of effort
demo shitto koso douryoku no kongen sa

I am a HERO しつこくいこうぜ I am a Hero I'll persist
I am a hero shitsukoku ikou ze


ジンジンジンジン人生のど真ん中で Right smack dab in the middle of life
jin jin jin jin jinsei no doman naka de

いっぺんくらい調子に乗りたい I'd just once like to go wild
ippen kurai choushi ni nori tai


10年経ってまだこれ言ってるけど I'm still saying this 10 years later but,
juunen tatte mada kore itteru kedo

待たせたな本物に変身するんだ I'll change to the real me that's been waiting
mataseta na honmono ni henshin surunda

I am a HERO 何笑ってるの? I am a Hero What are you laughing about?
I am a hero nani watteru no?

No comments:

Post a Comment