Saturday, September 13, 2014

i had a surgery

On Wednesday, August 27, I underwent laparoscopic surgery to remove what turned out to be three fibroid tumors. The past few months have been a rush.

The TL;DR/TMI version is as follows:

- In 2010, I went to the gynecologist for the first time since coming to Japan seeking relief from my painful periods. (Like, throwing up all day, terrible stomach and back pain/can't do anything pain)
Told I had two small fibroids. 1cm each, I think. Given meds and told to come back if anything got worse.

- 2011, the sizes are 3 and 4cm.

- In 2013, I went back to the gynecologist because I noticed a large lump in my stomach when I was laying flat on my back. She says fibroid tumors, this time the sizes are 6 and 7cm and I'll need surgery. I was expecting to hear something like that. But, I couldn't afford any surgery and she said it wasn't urgent.

- April, 2014, I switch jobs and have more time. Go back to the gynecologist because my stomach is looking something awful when I have my period, the lump is larger and I've gained weight. The fibroid is now something like 8 and 9cm respectively.

- I get the introduction letter to a surgeon and start visiting him to learn more about the surgery date, and in August, I go to the hospital once a week to bank my blood.

- At the end of August I go to the hospital for 6 days, 5 nights.

- Total cost to me was close to 90,000 yen or $900. Which was the 30% of the fee I pay after insurance has taken care of the rest.

More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment