Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BoA's Back!

I remember way back when when BoA made her debut. I was starting to get active on the K-pop site Soompi, and people were posting translations of articles from Korea. BoA is a member of SM Entertainment. About the time she debuted, one of Korea's hottest boy bands, H.O.T, broke up (or was breaking up, can't clearly remember). H.O.T was an SM Entertainment group and (female) H.O.T fans focused in on BoA as the reason for the break up.

Soon after her debut in Korea, she was ferried off to Japan for her Japanese debut. She had a lot of success there with Valenti, Listen to My Heart, No 1, Kiseki and more. This was in the early 2000s. K-pop as a phenomenon was limited to the "Korean Wave" in Japan...which was really just Winter Sonata (a Korean drama starring Bae Yong-jun, part of a larger series with different stories and actors that cover the other three seasons).

In the early 2000s, it was said that she was more popular in Japan than Korea. Indeed, a number of her Korean songs at that time were the Japanese songs translated into Korean. While I wouldn't call myself a super fan by any stretch of the imagination, I have followed BoA throughout her career and have cheered her on. 

Recently, I was reading an article on Soompi about her newest Japanese single. When I clicked to watch the music video, I was surprised at how much she'd changed!




She looks like a totally different person! Well, people grow up and change, but I thought I was watching some random girl lip-sync to BoA's song! The song is nice, her dance moves are (as always) the bomb and she looks great. But, I can't help missing the "Valenti"-era BoA! Check out Valenti and her newest video "Shout It Out!" below.


Shout It Out


No comments:

Post a Comment