Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Working in Japan: Differences

I enjoy reading Ask a Manager while at work. It helps keep me sane and it helps me to see what's going on in the U.S. But, every once and a while, I'll come across a post with a question that seems crazy to the poster, but totally normal to me.

The other day I read a post where someone questioned about having to give six weeks notice before taking time off. 



If you are working in Japan, this is not all that unusual. I don't think it's all that unusual for vacations in the U.S. either. Things that might be unique to Japan, when it comes to vacations and such include:

- Filling out a form for time off. The time off has to be approved by your supervisor, their supervisor, and a few other people up to the boss. Or, in my company's case, the CEO.

- In my company, if you are a few minutes late for work, you have to fill out the above paper for time off. Yes. Two minutes won't slide.

- If you are sick, you take paid or unpaid time off.

- If you are dying, you can take sick leave...maybe...
No one takes sick leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment