Sunday, November 3, 2013

When I Think of Working Back Home...

Before moving to Japan, I'd held two part-time jobs. The first was delivering newspapers. I started this job when I was in third grade and continued through 9th grade. Then, when I was in 10th grade, I began working at my City's public library. In total, I worked there for 8 years; quitting something like 2 or 3 days before getting on the plane to come to Japan.

My entire Real(ish) Job in the Real World experience has been in Japan. It can be interesting at times. For the most part as long as I don't fuck up and kill someone I've got a job. But the worst part is that my work is contract work and I get no pay raise. I also get no responsibilities. If the Japanese staff has an issue, and I could easily solve that issue...and they KNOW that I could, they still won't ask for my help because I'm a contract worker (keiyaku-shaiin). 

I've been wondering what working full-time in the U.S. will be like. I imagine that would make at least $60,000 a year. That I'd be working somewhere where my coworkers respect my ability and where people share ideas and look to improve themselves. That I'd be getting a raise and a bonus because I'm that awesome. 

On a different note, I've been talking with a Japanese friend and she has agreed to answer some questions about Japan for me :)
There aren't that many people that actively read this blog, but if you did have a question you wanted to ask, feel free! I only ask that the questions aren't too specialized (ie- Why did Tokugawa decide to ride naked on a horse before doing some other obscure thing that no one has ever heard about?). And please refrain from offensive questions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment